Akana is looking for a mid-level Structural Engineer to perform a variety of technical tasks on several existing and future projects. This position would work on a wide range of project types including dams and hydraulic structures, bridges, multi-story buildings, transit, industrial, water/wastewater treatment plants and tribal facilities.
Akana promotes a culture of collaboration and teamwork, and fosters decision-making as close to the issue as possible to most efficiently communicate with our clients. Consistent with that diverse project load, this position offers excellent professional growth to the right candidate.
Akana is a Native American-owned firm that works closely with numerous tribal entities, as well as the Federal Government and several municipalities and agencies. Sensitivity to various cultural backgrounds is important.
The position will be located at Akana’s Portland, OR office, as that office is the firm’s headquarters and houses the design group. Interested candidates should be independent and self-motivated, and be willing and capable of leading structural design projects.
- Provide technical expertise in all facets of structural engineering on multiple projects
- Manage projects from planning through construction
- Work closely with project staff such as junior engineers, technicians and CADD staff
- Work directly with other disciplines within the firm, as well as clients and consultants
- Light travel is anticipated
- Field work anticipated on related projects
- Participate in business development activities such as meeting with clients, assisting with preparation of proposals, and developing work scopes and budgets.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of professional experience
- Experience in the design of structures such as: steel, concrete, masonry and timber, as well as the willingness to work with non-traditional building methods and structures
- Excellent communication and project management skills
- Familiar with local and national building codes and standards, such as the International Building Code (IBC), ASCE, ACI and AISC
- Familiar with seismic design and analysis
- Proficiency in AutoCAD drafting as a design tool, with Revit experience a plus
- Civil Engineering degree with an emphasis in Structures from an ABET-accredited university preferred
- PE license required. Registration as a Structural Engineer (SE) is definite plus